Mr. Gaurav Bedi, we are committed to creating a healthy environment around the kids, which will allow them to creatively learn and develop holistically. As kids are plugged-in to an array of gadgets like TVs, tablets, social media, video games, and smartphones, etc., this can surely be termed ‘The Gadget Addiction’.
The Adverse Effects of Over Exposure to Gadgets
• Gadget addiction leads to a sedentary lifestyle, which has its own share of adverse effects. Researches show that children spending an average of 4 hours per day watching TV or other gadgets are more likely to be overweight. Obesity is hence, swiftly emerging as one major concern for youth.
• Overexposure to the flashy screens, high volumes, bold colors, and action may cause irritability, restlessness, and frustration among the young minds. This excessive stimulation affects their vision, concentration, and social behavior. They may even adopt a violent. unpredictable behavior in the future.
• With increasing comfort in building relationships online, there is an increasing level of social disconnection found among children, particularly slots teenagers, which is inhibiting their development of social skills. Their screen-savvy addiction leaves them with fewer personal interactions and lower empathy.
• Reduced analytical and creative thinking is an outcome of relying excessively on technology. It limits their knowledge and learning abilities. Remember how easy access to the calculator on mobiles has impacted your basic Math skills.
‘The Gadget Detox’
We would recommend you to create ‘The Gadget Detox’ calendar in your family time. Get into a family conversation with your children about what this detox is about. This will have a positive impact on health as well as family bonding. It will also be an opportunity for you to walk your talk as a role model for your children. Here are some exciting ways of going for ‘The Gadget Detox’.
• Discover Fun Activities – Limit the time for TV / Social Media, etc. not only for your kids but for everyone in the family. You can create a time slot for playing outdoors or get along with indoor games like Ludo, Pen Hide and Seek, etc. You can together create a list of games with your children.
• Hobby Time – As we grow up, we get occupied in the daily chores so much that there is hardly time to work on our passion and hobbies. Create hobbies that are of interest to your children and partner with them. You can also ask your kids to create fun quizzes around these hobbies.
• Exploring the World of Reading – Reading is different than studying. It is also different than watching videos or television for recreation. Reading taps analytical and creative thinking which thereby stimulates the right brain development. Simultaneously pick up a book for yourself and exhibit a competitive spirit. They can initiate reading with their favorite book and slowly move towards other genres.
• Meal Together – Being together without the interruptions of TV and mobiles is a great way for healthy eating, good digestion, and family bonding. You can have the day-to-day conversations with your children without reacting or giving instructions during the mealtime.
We, at Gurukul The School, recognized as one of the Best Schools in Ghaziabad, strictly follow the five core values – Respect, Honesty, Compassion, Fairness, and Responsibility (represented by acronym RHCFR) to instill the ‘Character Education’ as an inseparable part of their education and overall development. By addressing ‘The Gadget Addiction’, we are not standing against technology; rather we stand to propose that its use should be balanced and responsible. This helps to ensure their physical and mental well-being while steering them towards practicing the constructive use of gadgets for enhanced learning and development.